Thursday, April 26, 2012

Train Tracks / Σιδηροδρομικές Γραμμές

Charcoal and watercolour in my large format sketchbook.

This afternoon was glorious. One of these afternoons with a fresh breeze, not a cloud in the sky and everything bathed in golden light. Off I went on my bike. Sometimes I use back streets and narrow passes to get down to the beach. One of these is the disused train lines. I'm not the only one apparently. They seem to have become a pedestrian thoroughfare through what's left of vineyards, olive groves and grazing goats. Suburban sprawl meets remnants of a traditional, sustainable, self-sufficient way of life. I sat on the tracks after I was assured by a couple of people passing by that there were no trains. I had images of me diving out of the way of an oncoming train into milk thistle and stinging nettle. I've been meaning to paint these tracks for some time. I just like the spot. I can never get a handle when drawing, on all the variations of green in a landscape. They're ever so subtle, playing with your sense of vision and I always seem to end up with a green cacophony on paper. 'I'll get it under control next time' I tell myself. 

Ένα όμορφο απόγευμα. Όλα τα είχε. Φρέσκο απαλό αεράκι, καθαρός μπλε ουρανός και ένα απογευματινό κεχρυμπαρένιο φως. Ξεκίνησα με τα ζωγραφικά σύνεργα στην πλάτη καβάλα στο ποδήλατο. Πολλές φορές, για να πάω στην παραλία, χρησιμοποιώ μικρά μονοπάτια μέσα από οικόπεδα και δίπλα από αυλές. Ένα από τα μονοπάτια αυτά είναι και οι σιδηροδρομικές γραμμές. Κι από τι φαίνεται, δεν είμαι η μόνη. Έχουνε γίνει κάτι σαν πεζόδρομος για όλη την γειτονιά. Mε διαβεβαίωσαν κάποιοι περαστικοί ότι δεν κυκλοφορούν πια τρένα και την άραξα πάνω στις γραμμές. Εφόσων δεν υπήρχε περίπτωση να χρειαστώ να κάνω βουτιά σε τίποτα γαϊδουράγκαθα για να αποφύγω την αμαξοστοιχία, μπορώ να πω ότι απλώθηκα για τα καλά. Ήθελα να ζωγραφίσω αυτό το σημείο καιρό και περίμενα να ζεστάνει λίγο ο καιρός. Πολλές φορές μου είναι δύσκολο να ελέγξω όλα τα πράσινα ενός τοπίου. Οι λεπτές διαφορές παίζουν με την όρασή σου. Πάντα λέω ότι θα καταφέρω να τα ελέγξω καλύτερα την επόμενη. Μπα.

No comments:

Post a Comment